4.29.2014

Yours, Mine and Ours.



 See the things you want as already yours. 
Think of them as yours, 
as belonging to you. As already 
in your possession. 
-- Robert Collier

I've been thinking about something I read recently that I can't find now (in a book, not online, which makes it harder) and so my apologies to the author because I want to quote you exactly but I don't remember who you are. I will have to paraphrase. 

The idea was that when a person has experienced a childhood that was in some way difficult, deficient or lacking, they often spend their adult life showering those missing elements on the people around them in an effort to make up for it. Whatever it is, they put it in the world for themselves, because no one else did. Kind of a "be the change you want to see" idea, but as a way of self-healing. Anyway, it seemed like truth to me.

But I've been thinking about it lately as it applies to my life in the church. Or I suppose I should say, "The Church", since that's a more accurate reflection of how I tend to think of it. A formal title with caps, -- large, vaguely disapproving -- a dark-suited entity that I am continually trying to please but with varying degrees of success...and also, I admit, sincerity. A mighty institution with which I sometimes feel at odds. (But then big institutions tend to make me feel uncomfortable. Also rebellious.)

In reality, that's flawed thinking on my part. I don't have a lot of church interaction that comes down to me vs. the whole mighty institution. 

I live my church life in wards, in classes, and callings. In friendships, family, hymns and prayers. In visits, and verses of scripture. In spiritual glimpses. 

My church life belongs to me. And it's about time I took more ownership.

I recently read a fascinating essay titled, Forgiving the Church and Loving the Saints: Spiritual Evolution and the Kingdom of God, by Robert A. Rees. He gives this description: "The Church . . . is imperfect. [However,] it is the best instrument the Lord has, given our agency, to effect his purposes. If it is at times inefficient, backward, repressive, it is also at times instructive, progressive and liberating. The church is like us . . . I'll go one step further: the Church is us; it is no better or no worse than we are (and that includes you and me), for the Church is what we make it."

The church is what we make it. 

I'm not sure why that simple and obvious idea struck me as revolutionary. We all show up every Sunday, and put on meetings, and share the sacrament, sing together and have discussions in an effort to better understand what is required of us, look after one another and...yes. In so doing, we make the church.

Rees says, "...the Church includes all of us who have taken upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ and given our allegiance to his restored gospel. The Church includes the limitations, weaknesses, and prejudices as well as the faith, hope, and charity of all of us who call ourselves Mormon, from the apostles and prophets in Salt Lake City to the latest converts in New Guinea, Nigeria, and the Ukraine. We are all members of the body of Christ. We all constitute that phenomenon known as his church, and therefore we must be careful in ascribing to that church over-simplistic characteristics or seeing it in terms of our own or someone else's invariably limited point of view."

I was talking to a 77-year-old member the other day, one who has been active and served in callings her whole life -- and she surprised me when she came out with this: "It doesn't bother my testimony that I don't fit in."

Huh? You don't fit in? All those years of showing up and contributing every week, being a Bishop's wife for what seemed like forever, even giving up three years of your life to lead, inspire, care for and motivate an entire mission...and you still feel you somehow don't fit in? Now that's interesting.

It also begs me to ask...well then, does anyone?

After I taught my RS lesson this week, the counselor stood up to close the meeting and she thanked me but what she said next took me by surprise. She said, "I really need to thank you...I guess just because...well, you always say exactly what I'm thinking." 

Now that was a revelation. There are other people who think like I do. And they're sometimes in the same RS room! But we would never have known that if I hadn't opened my mouth and let some of my slightly unconventional thoughts out.

I've spent many years thinking, "I wish The Church would/were _______________. You can probably fill in that blank about a million ways. Things I'd like to hear more of, things I'd like to hear less of, ideas I wish we'd explore, ideas I wish we'd erase, policies I wish we'd change, people I wish were nicer, and on and on. Probably about 40 years' worth of weekly ideas. 

But it hadn't yet occurred to me that, if I want more anything in my church experience, I have some power to put it there. 

For instance, if I'd like to hear comments in Gospel Doctrine that are more like the thoughts I'm having, I should express my own. Because suddenly that thought becomes living. It's in the room. Someone could even say they "heard it at church". And maybe someone will surprise me and agree. Maybe not, but it's out there nonetheless.

What am I protecting myself from by keeping my unique feelings and ideas under wraps? From people deciding I don't fit in? But I already assigned myself that title decades ago! 

Here's a thought: put more of myself into my ward and automatically there would be more people at church who are like me. There would be one, anyway. Creating a better, more inclusive environment -- for myself -- one Sunday at a time.  And who knows? By making a little space for myself, maybe I'll make a bit for someone else who's been quietly waiting too, looking for a crack to squeeze into.

I'm tired of feeling I don't fit in. A lifetime is a lot of Sundays, and I intend to stick it out. So maybe we should all decide to stop feeling that way and make ourselves at home. Be whatever way you "wish the church were..." Do things you "wish the church would..." The Church belongs to all of us, and our Sunday meetings belong to everyone who shows up.

Bottom line is, I'm ready to stake a claim. From here on out, my church life belongs to me.

-S.


9 comments:

  1. The first and greatest gift is agency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sticky tricky agency! How we say we love it...but actually hate it.

      Delete
  2. Welcome Susan! As you know, I have been making comments in church from birth practically and while you probably think my comments are "conventional," they do allow me to feel like the church belongs to me and I belong to the church. I love to hear different viewpoints in church (although it doesn't happen very often) because it gives me new things to think about. And, because I do not live as examined a life as you do, I need some input to be able to explore new ways of looking at the same old things. Thanks for having given that to me all of my adult life. Now, go give it to others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This may or may not have made me want to cry. Welcome to the overflow, Lis! I love the way you expressed the idea that your comments allow you to feel like you and the church belong to each other. That's such a perfect way to think about it. I'm going to try thinking the same.

      Delete
  3. Love this one. I think this is true for almost anything in our lives, beyond church. I feel the same way about public school--if you don't like something, the answer is usually not to retreat from it and circle the wagons, the answer is to charge forward and fix it yourself. Put your shoulder to the wheel, if you will.

    If I am at church, then there is room in the church for me. And if I am there, I might as well make my thoughts known. Let's dig in and make it what we need it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's. Because I'm sure there are a few of me...and you...and everyone else too...in every ward. Nothing needs to change because we're already all there. Some people just need to open up and express their ideas more completely, and everyone needs to listen better. Who knows how many millions of ways a testimony can look or sound? I'd like to find out.

      One thing that is obvious about Heavenly Father is that he glories in variety. Isn't it funny then that in His church we are sometimes so bent on stamping out differences wherever we find them? Perhaps we should throw away the box...and get a very big tent instead.

      Delete
  4. I've tried on no less than three occasions to comment on this particular post. But, always from my phone, and it seems to not want to let me post anything right now. I maybe should've learned after the first or second time... But now I'm finally on the computer.

    Anyway, so I have been thinking about several things from this post. The first thing that I had already been pondering before you wrote about it, was the idea of some perfect "mold" that everyone tries to fit themselves into. And I think that idea of a perfect mold looks different to everyone, because they probably imagine it as whatever they aren't. I am pretty sure that Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to all be the same, exact people. That is just a silly notion. We all need to be more comfortable with what the Lord has blessed us with, and we can strive to change things that need to be changed, and accept the things about us that are just part of who we are.

    The other thing I loved was the essay you quoted. I particularly love where he talks about the fact that the church is us. There is an idea/quote that I love. I don't remember where I heard it, but the general gist is: The gospel is perfect, the church (meaning the people) are not. It is hard to sometimes separate the two, particularly when feelings are hurt, or something is said that doesn't sit right with you.

    I've never been afraid to speak up in church... Mostly because I hate it when a teacher asks a question, or asks for some discussion and the crickets go off. Granted, I probably don't say anything too special, or amazing, but even just getting other people comfortable talking is enough, sometimes. I am sure that many people are feeling just like you - their thoughts aren't shared by anyone else, so they'd rather not put themselves out there. Honestly, if you think about it, that is kind of a scary idea. You are sharing something kind of personal, and what if nobody likes it?

    Ok, I'll be done now. Thanks for the post. I love this blog, and I love thinking about things in a way I never have before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love you...and your ideas. Particularly this one: "I think that idea of a perfect mold looks different to everyone, because they probably imagine it as whatever they aren't. I am pretty sure that Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to all be the same, exact people. That is just a silly notion. We all need to be more comfortable with what the Lord has blessed us with, and we can strive to change things that need to be changed, and accept the things about us that are just part of who we are." That's a blog post in itself, and one we should all read. Thanks, Amelia!

      Delete
    2. I loved that line too! Nicely put, Amelia!

      Delete