4.22.2014

Singing is Believing.

I asked my husband the other day what he misses most about church when he is unable to attend for a few weeks at a time, and he said he misses participating -- teaching, speaking, fulfilling a calling. I asked him because I'd been thinking about what it is I miss when I am away. 

And that's the music.

I miss singing the hymns. It's my favorite part of worship and how well a ward does it has a direct impact on how happy I am in that ward.

Not that it takes a lot to keep me happy, but I do like a chorister who sometimes chooses my favorites, who likes the big, grand Protestant-old-reliables now and then, who knows how to get people to sing and how to keep the tempo moving (which means you need an organist who not only pays attention but can keep up, and sometimes that's where the real challenge lies. Let me say here that I am sincerely grateful to every member who did not squander their talent/lessons and who will play the organ in church so I can indulge in my beloved hymn singing. As a squanderer, I am undeserving of your gift. Thank you. And if you're a good organist, double thanks.)

And I like it best when I can't really hear myself sing, because everyone else is giving it their all too. If you've ever sat next to me in a meeting, you know that I'm often the loudest person in the room. 

Provided my sister isn't there. We believe in singing praises.

But then, many of my most profound spiritual experiences have been in some way tied to music. A lot of that probably has to do with the ward I grew up in. It was one of Salt Lake's more prestigious, with a building to match. I realize the very title "prestigious ward" has problems, but then that's another post. Like it or not, it was. The building itself was grand. The chapel was presided over by an impressive, bone-rattling pipe organ, and chances were good that the person playing it would have an advanced degree in organ performance. The choir director was likely to be equally well-qualified, and the soloists were some of the same voices who soloed with the Tab Choir. Easter morning might be heralded with the brass section from the Utah Symphony. Sacrament meeting could be the Utah Oratorio Society performing their work-du-jour. The people who wrote the hymns or the primary songs were sometimes sitting in the audience. It was the home ward to one of the prophets, and the governor showed up there too, for Christmas and pre-election Sunday. And oh, how that ward did music.

Funny that my three favorite church music experiences didn't come in big shiny packages. They came quietly, one as the young leader of a bad ward choir with more than enough heart to make up for what was missing in the singing, and one as a ward chorister saddled with an earnest-but-just-beginning teenage boy as my accompanist. In both of those instances, every hymn was an exercise in creativity and faith. 

I've led plenty of church music over the years with tears streaming down my face, and loved every beat. For me, singing is believing.
 
Anyway, the earliest thing I can identify as a true spiritual experience came in a ward Christmas program. My siblings and I were sitting alone, my parents being seated on the stand to perform with the choir. I'm not sure how young I was, but I'm pretty sure my feet were swinging in patent-leathers, so they didn't yet reach the floor. It was dark outside (yes, sacrament meeting used to be in the late afternoon/early evening -- I'm that old) and the chapel had lovely tall windows that ran all the way up both sides. It began to snow, big wet flakes floating down in a soft blessing that stood out against the sky. And just then the choir started to sing "Still, Still, Still." It was the first time I had ever heard that song. And it was nothing short of magic. Or at least I thought so.

Looking back, I realize that it was more than that. It was the kind of magic the spirit works, the kind that sets you off on a journey in pursuit of getting to that feeling again and again.

I've gotten back many times since, to that serene, believing place, and probably forgotten more times than I remember. But that experience stands out because it simply stopped me in my little-girl tracks and assured me that I was exactly where I should be. And that all was right with the world in that moment, in that room.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to 
expressing the inexpressible, is music."
 -- Aldous Huxley

That's my experience, and I'd like to hear yours. We all have one, the first time we figured out that we were on to something that would change everything that came after. The day the spirit stopped by, and then we followed it down the street begging it to come back. I hope you'll share your story in the comments.

And next time you find yourself in church, sing loud please. If only to drown me out.

-S.

 

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I know just what you mean! My earliest spiritual feelings were also stirred by hymn singing. Our family was asked to do the musical number in sacrament meeting (yes, that used to be a common practice), and my four older siblings and I sang "I Stand All Amazed" with my mom on the piano. I was nine, and my twelve-year-old brother (the only boy) sang the third verse solo: "I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt. Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget? No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet." By the time we were supposed to join him for the chorus, I was overcome by both my feelings for the great sacrifice and by my love for my brother singing those tender words. Those feelings are still there every time I sing that song. Later, I was one of those teenage organists you mentioned, called to play in Sunday School and paired with an 80-year-old chorister who liked a quick tempo. You would have liked his style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Judy! What a lovely memory...no wonder he remains your favorite brother :) I'm betting many people experience their first encounters with the spirit through music, if only because music communicates with us on other levels. I think our guard goes down and emotion steps ahead of intellect when we experience it. (Thanks for being the teenager who dared to play the organ in your ward! I hope the 80 year old was kind.)

      Delete
  2. Well said! Whatever the circumstances from so very humble to "prestigious ward," music can bring the Spirit. Whether the church is filled with savagery or civilization, "O, brave new world that has such people (and their music) in it!" Loved the Aldous Huxley quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leenie, how I do love you. Seriously. Whether the church is filled with savagery or civilization...

      Delete
  3. My thoughts exactly. Music is what I miss when I can't go to church, and a sacrament meeting can be either made or broken by its music (and chorister/organist). Our family has had a few musical miracles related to church that have cemented my belief that actual, legitimate miracles do happen in every day life.
    1. The time we sang Lo, How A Rose with all five of us in perfect harmony after having not one single good practice. The practices were so bad. So, so bad. But the actual performance was magic.
    2. The time our little choir performed the Wilhousky Battle Hymn. I still get shivers thinking about that. Hannah singing "Glo-ri-AHH!"--it was awesome. And Amelia and I killed the piano part somehow, defying the laws of physics with that ridiculous accompaniment. That was also the first time I ended a performance sweaty from physical exhaustion instead of nerves.
    3. The Christmas I came home so sick from SUU and Hannah and I pulled together "Away in a Manger" with that really difficult and run-tastic accompaniment that I had never successfully made it through. Hannah was glorious, I was on, and it was a miracle.

    Music is awesome, and when other things are not, it always keeps me coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three of those events make my "top 10" list as well...thanks for the reminder! And your last line nailed it exactly: "Music is awesome, and when other things are not, it always keeps me coming back for more."

      If your experiences have left you with that, I feel my parenting "ain't been in vain fer nothin."

      Delete
  4. Of course music has always been my favorite part of church. And the great "Battle Hymn" of 2004 is up there as one of my most favorite experiences, ever! If I remember correctly, I think I had to speak that day, as well. Talk about overload of stress!

    I also had the opportunity to play a piano solo when I was 16 or 17 for a fireside with one of the general authorities (I don't remember who, sadly). I was extremely stressed because I had played the same solo just a few months before, and it had... Not gone well, at all. As in, after I finished, instead of sitting down, I walked straight out into the hall and sobbed. Anyway, I was nervous, as usual, but I had been praying all day and week to do my best. And, I completely nailed it. By the time I sat down, I was in tears because of all the emotions that were coursing through me, particularly the spirit I felt. I only hope others felt it as strongly - that's always my hope when I perform (be it through a solo, or as the organist, or in a choir), that the spirit will be felt as strongly for others as it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never forget "Battle Hymn"...for so many reasons! I often wonder whether non-musical people are as keyed into feeling the spirit through music as those of us who were literally programmed for it. I'd like to experience it that way sometime and know how it feels. For one thing, being able to listen to music with a complete absence of the critic's ear would surely change the dynamic I think. Just wondering out loud. Thanks for sharing, Amelia! And for practicing "Battle Hymn" approximately 3,462 times in my living room...(it was well worth it).

    ReplyDelete