5.06.2014

Aches and Pains.



A thought to help us through 
these difficult times: 
Be kind, for everyone you meet 
is fighting a hard battle. 
-- Ian MacLaren

Hard things in the church are tricky. Your hard things are not my hard things, and vice versa. I wish none of us had hard things, but alas. We're living in a world of them. And unfortunately, it's impossible to keep the realities of our lives from colliding with our doctrine.

Here's one of those tricky examples -- something you may think of as being a warm fuzzy thing. I used to. But I've decided its warm fuzziness hides sharp edges.

That thing is this: Families Can Be Together Forever.

For me, that's a slogan I wish we would let slip away. I know it's meant to bring peace and joy and provide an ideal, a goal from which to draw strength and purpose. And for many people, I'm sure it does. But there are also many people for whom it brings pain. Families are complicated things.

There are people for whom that idea holds no appeal, at all. For whatever reason, their families just don't work. I know several.

There are people who haven't started families of their own, and that's difficult in a church that can feel like it's made of, and for, families. I know some of those too.

There are people whose family members do not all share their spiritual lives or goals. I'll bet we all know many in that position.

It's a nice idea to teach children. It sounds sweet and comfortable and good in Primary. But even that is problematic, because young children are literal thinkers so when they hear that families can be together forever, the chances are good that they're not thinking about it the way the teacher is.

That phrase is a good example of something that seems so harmless, it's hard to imagine it could hurt or offend. But perhaps we'd do better to say that Our Relationships Can Continue Forever. Maybe that would provide a little more space for peace and happiness outside the "family" box. We need a new song.

Anyway, I bring it up because hard things have been on my mind lately. And as church members, we're often not upfront about it when we struggle with things that we think shouldn't cause us to struggle. We assume it's something wrong with us

Really what we need is to be able to say, "Ouch. This hard thing hurts me. Just so you all know, I am getting no joy from this, and it's not because I'm not worthy of joy."

We have back-to-back weddings coming up in our family. Two daughters are getting married in the space of two months! It's an exciting time, and we are eager for our family to grow. We feel lucky to have found two of our missing pieces.

But weddings bring up another thing that some might think should not be a hard thing but that for me has been known to cause exquisite pain: the temple.

The temple has always been challenging for me actually, and for a variety of reasons. Some are as simple as claustrophobia. But I've had profound experiences there too, and one of the things I love about the temple is that I never fail to feel the spirit there, even on challenging days. It's a remarkable place.

That being said, the temple also breaks my heart in a way that nothing else in our church does.

In our family, the temple is sometimes an insurmountable, rock-hard divider.

We have one daughter who is no longer an active member of the church. I know a few of her reasons, but I'm sure I don't know them all. I'll be the first to admit that I understand many of her choices, and I can't say I wouldn't be in the same position given her experiences. Bad things happen sometimes, and she has endured a few.

I don't spend time worrying about her in the context of "being together forever" -- I have heard all of the comforting doctrine over the years. More importantly, I have faith in the atonement and in our Savior's ability to know her heart, much more fully than I can.

But I do worry about us being together as a family right here on earth sometimes. When it comes to the church, breaking up is hard to do. For all parties.

We have a strong culture. Eschew the Mormon mold and it's easy to feel that you're no longer "in the club". When she first left, of course it was difficult for us. No one raises children in the church hoping they'll choose a different path. But we moved past it many years ago, and I'm not sure she really understands that. She feels different. She feels a division. I think she believes that we must always be disappointed in her, because she knows our doctrine well.

Having grown up in the church myself, I understand why she would suspect us of having those feelings, why she can't quite believe that we think she's amazing exactly the way she is.

And that's why the temple causes me pain. Because the temple reinforces that division. She won't be at her sister's wedding. How does that make her feel? Probably like she's not in the club. Probably like she's different. Probably like we think she is somehow "less". 

But wait! This is our FAMILY I am talking about. Not a club or an organization, a quorum or a congregation. This is my daughter.

And I can't help being genuinely resentful of anything that would ask me to feel that my darling, beloved girl is in any way "less". She is remarkable. She is full of love and goodness and the most amazing gifts. She's really one of the more extraordinary people I know. And it makes me so sad to think that she has a hard time believing I can see her in exactly that way.

So during the wedding, when I should be overcome with the joy of family and the eternal nature of those loving ties, I will also find myself heartsick for the one who isn't there, and for the way in which that day will probably affirm for her the feeling of being the "other one". 

I know because I've experienced it twice before.

We attended the Nauvoo Temple dedication when the girls were younger and I cried all the way through it. Not because I was touched. I couldn't see that far past my pain. I cried because it was the first time she was officially excluded. The church...that I loved...was putting up an explicit wall within my family. That was the moment it came into clear focus for me. And there was nothing I could do as her mother to fill the gap. No reach could bring her to the other side that day. I felt a deep wound. If she wasn't deemed worthy to be there, why should I want to be?

Then she missed her first sister's wedding. At least I was able to brace for the pain. I wasn't blindsided by it, as I had been the first time, but I could still cry about it right now. Just give me 30 seconds to conjure those feelings up.

In trying to explain something sensitive to me, a friend once said, "Wait until you see one of your daughters sealed in the temple. Then you will understand." I could sense his joy at the eternal glimpse in that pivotal parenting moment. But all I could think of was, "I'm happy for you. Actually, I've already seen that. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't understand." 

You had to be there. For all of it. 

Of course, I'm grateful that two of my daughters have chosen to begin their marriages in the temple. I know the blessing that can be throughout their lives, I know the sacrifices it required, the choices they had to make to be ready for that ordinance. As a mother, my heart truly does rejoice.

But the sadness is nearly unbearable for me too. And I can't deny that. If we could do it any other way, I would.

I tell you all of this only because I suspect some of you will understand. Because I'm sure you have your own hard things. 

Days your heart is breaking while everyone else in the meeting seems to agree that, if you're doing it right, you'll surely be happy. 

Days you hear the message, but it doesn't seem to apply to the reality you see and feel in your personal circumstances.

Days you don't want to teach the lesson because you know it's going to be another hard thing for one of the members of your class.

Days you try to access the joy the gospel can bring but you come up short.

Just about the time I begin to feel like I'm passing the test, I often figure out that the test isn't actually what I thought it was at all. 

And I feel we need to be more aware that even our best teachings, the ones that we are assured will bring peace and happiness if followed, can be hard, painful things for some among us. It all depends on how and where they land. 

We don't need to see the wounds, but I'd like to shift our group perspective a bit so that it's acceptable to acknowledge they're there. Because even though we can't eliminate every hard thing, we can provide softness, kindness, safety, and caring to cushion the blows. Isn't that why we come together every week?

Whether or not we even understand why the cherished words, practices, and principles that bring us joy don't have that same effect on everyone, we need to accept it. Sometimes they just don't. So when it comes to our lives as Latter-day Saints, maybe we should be a bit quieter about how we are all expected to feel. 

Even the best people are not spared hard things.

-S. 

17 comments:

  1. Susan, this post makes me want to drink a really big diet coke…or really, it makes me want to put my arms around that incredibly fabulous daughter of yours and remind her of how much I love her and how much she made a difference in two little girls lives and left an everlasting impression of what is kind and good. It is all so tricky….and complicated…thank goodness I have you to join me in the overflow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! There's no crying at Senor Taco!! Guess I should have left my ipad in the car while I had lunch...thank you, my dear friend. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Okay, this one made me cry actual real tears. There are so many good things in this, and I feel every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my Chelsea...like I said. You just had to be there. For all of it. Thanks for being in the best club ever with me.

      Delete
  3. Susan, this was painful to read, knowing how much you love your kids. I don't know which one is this but please tell her I'm always here to give her a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tony! I'm sure it's all a little baffling to you...those crazy Mormons, after all! Thank you for your friendship, and for your kindness, and for reading my ramblings, and for being you.

      Delete
  4. Susan, thank you for this beautiful post. This issue has been one of the aches and pains for me too. One set of grandparents knew of the church, but never chose to be baptized. An beloved uncle on the other side of the family left the church years ago. As a child, I struggled with "yes,but…" Yes, families could be forever, but mine wouldn't be. As an adult, trying to figure out where I belonged, I considered leaving the church, but stayed because I was the only sibling who hadn't left and I didn't want my parents to feel like failures when all of their children turned away from what they loved.
    We have to talk about these hard things. We have to talk about the words that hurt us, even when they are the words that bring others peace. We have to be aware that our own personal experiences don't necessarily line up with the way anyone else experiences the world. I so appreciate you and your willingness to share these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannine. I so admire you and have felt honored to be provided a glimpse of your own difficult journey. The thing about the church that it took me awhile to figure out (it really took moving to FL, truth be told, because I saw some of the same things in the church there that troubled me in the culture there and it shocked me, but it helped crystallize this truth for me) is that our membership is made up of all the same people that society is made up of. I know, sounds simple and obvious, but I don't think we always think of it that way. Every family problem in the world, we have in the church. Every sin, abuse, ugliness, prejudice, etc. is right there too. Every kind of person is there, with every kind of lifestyle, every kind of background and every kind of need. Those things aren't magically deleted just because we're a group of members. We can hope some of the negative things occur less as a result of our covenants and our beliefs, but we need to remember that it's pretty much all right there in the building with us. I think we forget that sometimes, and when you're the one doing the suffering, it can be darn near impossible to feel that you are in a safe place to speak up and make that known. The more perfect we all try to appear, the more insidious it becomes. And we do like to be perfect with each other...I hope you'll hang in. With me. I need you in my church.

      Delete
  5. Such well written and true words. You are bringing to the surface and giving life to thoughts that must be in the heart to almost every one who has sat it out on those folding chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leenie. I'm sure there are people who read this and said, "Huh? What's she all upset about now?" But it's my truth. And it feels good to tell it, so if it only helps me, that's one. Thanks for being willing to sit in the folding chairs with me.

      Delete
  6. Yes, please. Unquestioned source of joy: having children at all. reality: don't want kids, had them anyway, got two spit-fires mixed with autism. result: happy pills, therapy, and looking at everyone else's joy through the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. The description of looking at joy through the window really resonates. Thanks for putting those words together for me. And thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. The whole "Families can be together forever," has given me pause recently. With the passing of Justin's father, and in trying to talk with Boston about it, I've found myself having a lot of questions about it. I guess I haven't been as concerned about the concept in the past, as it relates to my family, because I just always assumed that The Lord would work things out the way they should be. Certainly He does not want us to be in pain. He is our father, after all. But, when talking about it with my 3 year old, and knowing that grandpa wasn't living within the gospel (although, he hadn't left the church, he was just inactive), I just don't know what to say. I don't have the answers, and I know that's ok, it just makes it hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having the answers is always ok...I'm sure we don't have more answers than we do have. But sometimes when it appears that I should have them or that everyone else does have them, it doesn't feel good to raise my hand and say..."umm...I don't know that answer." Even if I can follow up with "and I'm absolutely okay with that."

      Sorry you've been struggling with this one in your family, Amelia. I'm sure you're handling it beautifully.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, girl, you got your brave on. Not sure how you tackled this one with such grace, but you did. You know the reasons I've struggled with, in particular, Families can be together forever. What do I say to grandchildren who hear that each Sunday, but know that their family isn't together? And I'm wondering how that is wounding their hearts. Yes, we each have things we struggle with, but as you and I have said in our talks together, the struggling, the figuring things out is, hopefully, what leads to the truth. As is all things though, it is the "platitudes" that give me pause. There is no way a platitude can apply to everyone, no matter what religion they belong to or don't belong to, so I do wish we would do away with those "comfortable" little sayings that end up causing such discomfort to so many. And to be able to say it, to talk about it is the only way we will make progress in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit, this one required a deep breath and a *gulp* before hitting the publish button. But if I'm going to advocate for talking about things, I guess I need to be prepared to talk about things! Thanks for being a friend I can talk them out with beforehand.

      As for platitudes, we really do seem to like them. I'm not sure why. I guess reducing truth to a few neat, iron-clad words makes it all seem so much tidier...more sure...more quantifiable, repeatable, and so on. But they do damage because it's some of the untidy bits around the edges that are the parts people are hungry to hear and discuss and ask questions about, and we don't ever get that far. We just repeat the platitude. So I'd like less robot, more real in our church personalities. But then I think you're pretty well acquainted with that and about a thousand other things I want...thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. It looks like I'm a month late to the party, but I was just linked to your blog and read a few posts. I like this one a lot. There are a lot of "hard things" and I sometimes envy the people who never seem to struggle with anything, but I'm learning to be grateful for my own unique personal experience. Thanks for your openness and honesty. These are thoughts that are hard to put into words and usually harder to find a sympathetic audience to share with. I appreciate the effort and tears you put into this blog.

    ReplyDelete