3.19.2014

Bring more chairs.



My wise father-in-law used to say, “There’s room for everyone in the church.” His commitment to this belief made him one of my heroes. And I’ve spent my adult church life hoping to prove him right.

I was talking with a new friend the other day, feeling delighted by the fact that we seem to have so much in common, when she announced, “Susan, I don’t think we are good for each other.” It isn’t exactly the kind of thing one wants to hear on the brink of a new friendship, so I lost no time in explaining to her why she had it completely wrong. We are actually very good for each other, and I will tell you why.

We were discussing a sticky church-related topic, an area (and yes, there are quite a few) in which my faith is not perfect. It’s not important what that area is; what is important is that you know I have them, and I know you have them too. We all do. But as I began rather hesitantly voicing my ideas/doubts/whatever, I could see a light go on in her face, and then the light became a nod, and then she was adding her own similar thoughts to mine and we were suddenly sharing a moment of transparency, the truth of which I guess felt somehow uncomfortable to her.

But it felt strengthening to me, because in that moment I was suddenly not the lone square peg in the church’s round hole that I often perceive myself to be.

Sometimes I sit in church and look around when something that strikes me as a bit off-track or even downright wacky pops out and wonder, “Am I the only one in the room who isn’t sure about that?” Even though I know I’m not.

But no one says a thing. Everyone just sits there looking comfortably round, peg-perfect in their white shirts and modest-length skirts. Or maybe that’s just my perception. At any rate, it’s in those moments that my square corners chafe a bit.

The fact is, my friend and I are both at church every Sunday for a reason, because heaven knows no one’s making us attend. So I confided that my reason is a pesky little testimony of the Book of Mormon that I gained as a 14-year-old girl. It brought with it a lifelong responsibility, binding me through association to a whole host of doctrines, some of which I struggle with from time to time. And then she explained a bit about her own reasons, and I think she felt better and we suddenly had that much more in common.

It’s not good to feel alone. In fact, the whole point of the organized church is that we don’t have to be so. I rarely find strength or comfort in another's silence. It’s difficult to learn or grow, to help or understand, from things that remain unsaid.

To be a Mormon is to have a story – of conversion, of doubt, of faith and hope and wending our infinite separate ways. We're on the road to somewhere, and we can and should make the journey easier by sharing our stories as we go. They may not always be faith promoting, but then faith isn’t one-size-fits-all and one man’s questions can lay the groundwork for another man’s testimony. Or for a whole church, now that I think about it.

So when I question, wonder, chafe or complain, be assured that it's not because I'm in the process of leaving. It's because I'm in the process of staying. So sit by me. You probably know a lot of things I don’t, and I may even surprise you with a bit of my own understanding from time to time. We should talk. I think we could all be really good for each other. 

- S.

15 comments:

  1. This is why I always loved sitting by you, and why I struggle to sit in sine of those meetings without you, or someone like you. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I miss you for so many reasons. I thought fondly just the other day of how you used to attempt to hijack the tempo on hymns and thought, "the church needs more Nancy". And not just for your m&ms, although we could use those too.

      Delete
  2. This is going to be amazing. Hooray! I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amelia! I am excited too, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on any and every topic.

      Delete
  3. "In the process of staying." So good already. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being engaged in that process with me, Chels. It makes it much easier.

      Delete
  4. Maybe we don't speak up because then things happen like being called as RS President. Sharing your blog on FB now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the share! (Sorry about the RS President. Try wearing cowboy boots to church. It has worked for me for years.)
      On the other hand, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have running my RS. Well done, Bishop. Well done...

      Delete
  5. Hooray! I love this blog already. I can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! Welcome, welcome. Among my friends, you are one of the voices I respect and admire most. Hooray that you're here! Hope you'll stick around.

      Delete
  6. I'd invite you to blog about those "sticky topics" and why you choose to accept them. They are important. I see the importance of belonging to something larger than yourself. I believe it is a feeling that keeps us devoted and loyal regardless of factual knowledge that is opposed to the establishment. What is important is faith in Christ. Is that all we need? I will submit it is. It is His word only that anchors us. But, as sticky as church history can be, how much does a prophets' word go unchallenged simply because you are taught not to doubt your doubts? Does that create an atmosphere in which an individual feels safe to challenge a prophet? Even by the word of God?

    By your view, let's hypothesize that all the standards works are half truths except one. How are you to determine the right one if it has been diluted with falsehoods and philophical indifferences?
    That is assuming that all are right with only one being accepted by qualification by the others.

    I'd say no one likes the fear of being ostracized from something that has been everything to them. Simply because of a doctrinal issue that is in conflict with the whole establishment. They who are emotionally involved (many are who are devout) would be more willing to overlook serioius conflicts in order to preserve what they have. They devil is in the details. Those details are small, but Satan knows that God works great wonders by small means. It would be no wonder that Satan, who aspires to become God, would use the same tactics.

    Beware the spirit of familiarity, and tradition. Those feelings can be a vice and blinder to truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Parker. I appreciate your perspective, although our religious views have diverged. One's relationship with religion is always highly personal, and is the result of many factors -- our upbringing, our experiences, our needs and hopes, and of course our personal faith. Truth can never be absolute for us here -- we are viewing it through a human lens. Unfortunately, that's the only lens we have at this point. So we find our way relying on our faith and the things that feed our needs and that we feel in our hearts to be connected to the absolute truth we cannot see or know. I respect your journey, like my own, and hope it's bringing you peace and joy in your life.

      Delete
  7. Dear Susan, I had a very profound comment in the works and seem to have lost it thanks to my lack of experience with a laptop keyboard. I just want to say that your comments are well thought out and well written and express what many are feeling--you can see that by the comments you've received. I'm also in the process of staying and have a lot of issues in the Church where my faith is far from perfect. Keep up the good work--it is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. I've just been called into the R.S. presidency. Too close to that major calling for comfort. The Pres. is a dear friend and I'll do what I can to assist and counsel, but I'm dusting off my cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe cowboy boots won't work in Idaho, Leenie...may need to dust off some kind of quirky "artist-lady" garb...that used to work for me to. Different things keep different Bishops off-balance :) Good luck in the RS Presidency. They're lucky to have you! And at least you can still say it could be worse...

      Delete